By the time this image was published in 1857, the Naval Hospital already had a twenty year legacy of serving America’s enlisted. As virtually the last moment in history when the familiar Brooklyn landmark could be seen rising majestically above the murky yet bucolic arrangement of crested shoreline and wetlands known as Wallabout Bay, it is a rather important view. Very shortly after this, the bay would be filled in, bit by bit, to accommodate the growing Navy Yard, and the lands and buildings surrounding the hospital – once known as the Annex – would be separated no more.
The reverse of this view, with Flushing avenue on the left:
In just a few years, the hospital complex would serve as the source of a third of the medicines used by Union troops in the Civil War, and the basement of the main hospital building would be used to confine and treat wounded Confederate prisoners.
A map of the Hospital Annex during the Civil War. Source: Kingston Lounge
The hospital building and many of its associated structures are landmarked and stand to this day, although dilapidated and unused. Click over to the Kingston Lounge for a good historical summary of the facility as well as some evocative contemporary photographs.
✮ ✮ ✮