European rendering of a great American view, prominent in which is Battery Park at Castle Gardens.
When it was no longer needed for war, Castle Clinton was renamed Castle Gardens. In 1824, Castle Gardens opened as a resort, theater, and restaurant at a ticket price of $5, for which patrons could promenade around the fort’s walls while sipping mint juleps, ginseng, and punch liquor. The Marquis de Lafayette was welcomed there in 1824, the visit during which he was also hosted at DuFlon’s Military Gardens in Brooklyn. In 1825, the Castle was lit with gas lights, and a portion of the Castle was converted to a reading room featuring newspapers from major cities.
✮ ✮ ✮