Flatbush at Atlantic

Full-Screen-enlargeView south on Flatbush where Atlantic crosses, 1845.

A Long Island Rail Road train makes its approach from the east toward the Bull’s Head Tavern, made famous by its role in the 1776 Battle of Brooklyn as Baker’s Tavern.

The Brooklyn and Jamaica Rail Road was chartered in 1832, and was opened from the South Ferry to Jamaica, a distance of about twelve miles in 1836; not long after the Long Island Rail Road, chartered April 26, 1834, ran cars over the same track, reaching some of the towns in Suffolk county. The route was along Atlantic Street, now Atlantic avenue.

Although this road was a great advance on all previous modes of travel, its value as a means of local travel was limited to the immediate vicinity of the street through which it passed, and it served even this need imperfectly. The equipment, even at that period, was not by any means up to date. The best locomotive on the road at that time seldom exceeded a speed of twelve miles an hour, and the Long Island Railroad having no competition to fear, was not then, nor for many years after, equipped in the best manner. “More than twenty years later,” says a local writer, “in its passage through Atlantic avenue, an active boy or man found no difficulty in keeping up with its express trains for two or three miles.”

Fulfillment of the Remarkable Prophecies
Relating to the Development of Railroad Transportation
–Henry Whittemore, 1909

This view today:

✮ ✮ ✮

Image Details:

LIRR Online Museum


Period Tinting





Probably from the Brooklyn Eagle postcard series