The land for Brooklyn’s city hall was donated by the Remsen and Pierrepont families, in 1834, the year Brooklyn was granted its city charter. The following year, New York architect Calvin Pollard won the commission to design the building in a contest held by the city. The foundations were dug and the cornerstone laid for this structure in 1836. Unfortunately, financial hardship halted construction entirely.
When funds again became available in 1845 construction resumed, this time of a structure designed by Gamaliel King, who had come in second to Pollard in the city’s design competition, with instructions from the city that the new building must fit inside the already laid foundation. King preserved many elements of Pollard’s original design and intent, including its Greek Revival style, although the project was scaled down in size. Construction was completed in 1848.
✮ ✮ ✮